Monday, April 18, 2011

Why did we homeschool in the first place?

So, I've been asking myself this question for the last couple of weeks.  It is interesting how the perspective changes based on life situations and trials you are facing.
School is really hard for my kids and with diagnoses of ADHD for both of them it presents even more challenges.
My job as a parent is to equip my kids to become caring, successful, confidant and independent adults. As I have said before there are for sure benefits to the public school system but I question if they are getting the tools they need to become all of the above.
Unfortunately the "box" that they are supposed to fit into within the school system is a one size fits all and my kids don't fit. They never have and I am starting to doubt that even with all the crazy medication they are on they ever will.
Homeschooling is chaotic with four children there is no denying that but the benefits of homeschooling my children still FAR outweigh the benefits of public school.  That is not to say I'm going to homeschool them again however, Corey did ask about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment