Thursday, October 28, 2010

The "Right" Way to Homeschool

There seems to be division everywhere in life, even in the topic of homeschooling. HA I mean right there is division, some people spell homeschool and others prefer home school.  Either way I found it interesting that there seems to be a controversy about "how" to homeschool and what the proper and correct way is.
It seems there are a couple of different school of thoughts about this-pardon the pun ;)
-The school at home method-upon which most homeschoolers frown upon.  From my understanding this is what most people picture when they think of homeschoolers. A bunch of kids stuck around the table for 6 hours a day working through books and worksheets.
-Child led learning-This is a method where you follow the interests of the child. If they are really into bugs one day you run with insects until they feel satisfied.
-Unschooling-I'm not sure if I fully understand this yet but from what I have read, my take on it is basically that everything in life can be a learning experience and so there is no real formal education going on. You just learn through living life.
Eclectic-This is kind of what we are doing. It seems to mix all those methods and make them work.

There are many, many more including the Charlotte Mason  method, Montessori method, Waldorf etc.... I am for sure no expert and will never be one but I did find it interesting to see so many options and opinions on the different methods.

Homeschooling in itself is a whole learning experience and one not to be taken lightly.

Now for some fun stuff :)  We went to the Scarecrow Forest for some fall fun! It was a blast. We went through the scarecrow forest and saw the displays, played on the hay bale castle, found some furry friends, zip lined (even the little ones). It was a gorgeous day and we all had a blast!










 I totally want this to be the next wedding I shoot ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment