Thursday, December 9, 2010

I wish we could homeschool "for real"

I have been feeling like this for quite awhile now. I feel like we can't really experience homeschooling to it's fullest because I'm still running on a "school at home" mentality.
Our home is NOT school. Our home will never be school. Yes we learn at home but really that is where it should end.
We are missing the whole point by schooling at home. Nothing is being gained by sitting at a table and doing "school work", no joy is being had as we work through drills and worksheets.
Sure we do some fun stuff. In fact we do LOTS of fun stuff. But the little bit of mundane work totally ruins it and causes all sorts of grief. Not everyday but at least once a week. I guess it is easier to freak out on Mom though compared to some random teacher.
Of course the benefits of being able to freak out run both ways ;) I can also push them harder and insist they grasp a concept before we move on so they aren't getting left behind.
However, I digress.
So what I'm saying is that in order for us to truly appreciate the gift of learning at home and at our own pace we need to give up the whole school mentality and all that surrounds it.
That is the difference between us and someone who has homeschooled from day one or plans to continue until the end. Because I plan on sending my children back eventually I need to "keep up" with what the school system says is required.
Whether the kids are interested in learning those particular subjects or topics or not. That is school right there. Being forced and told what you will learn, when you will learn it and how.  Is that really even learning?
See the difference is when you don't have to keep up to some schedule the kids can learn at their own pace and things that interest them eventually learning and mastering everything they need to know to live in the real world.
Which has me seriously considering homeschooling Matthew and Jordyn right from the get-go. That is how I want to homeschool. That is ideally how most children would likely want to learn. I feel limited though and pressured to keep them up to par and not stray off the path of what the government curriculum tells us is appropriate and necessary for the grade level they are at.
Corey is pretty positive he wants to continue homeschooling for as long as he can. He certainly sees the benefits and feels he can do it here or *there*.
Kianne though wants to go to junior high. I totally don't  blame her and that was the plan all along anyway. I have to get her caught up in her math that the school failed so miserably on and on the same game plan so she can return seamlessly.  She is for sure making leaps and bounds in the math it is just sad though that we have to spend so much time on that when there are much more interesting things to look at ;)
Anyway these have been some of my random thoughts as of late.

We went on a really informative field trip the other day to the Manitoba Legislative Building. It was a great way to discuss different levels of government and architecture and history all at the same time. Kianne is totally wanting to dive into architecture. So even though I'm not 100% sure it's part of grade 6 Manitoba curriculum we are doing it anyways. I've put about 20 books on hold at the library and can't wait to dig in.

You'll have to excuse these photos. They were taken with my p&s and I'm having a real hard time with it lately. It's as if I don't how to work it :\

No comments:

Post a Comment