Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A Child's Choice?

I hope everyone had a fantastic Christmas and New Years! I know we did. It was so nice packing away all the "school" stuff to make room for Christmas decorations and of course a tree.
I thought it was important to put all stuff related to school out of sight as the old saying goes, "out of sight, out of mind".   As we all know, everyone in traditional school leaves and doesn't go back for an extended period of time. However as homeschoolers our school is here and I wanted to make it feel like a real break for the kids.
It was a great break. We even snuck off earlier than the rest of the bunch and aren't starting up until Monday. Again the advantages of time are clear in the homeschool world.





So here is why I post though. Kianne has really been struggling the last couple of weeks between wanting to stay home and return to school. I have tried to work through it with her and help her make the best choice. We have made lists of pros and cons. Weighed the good and the bad. The whys and the Whens and yet she wavers almost daily. Sometimes more than once a day.  I understand the desire to go to school. I went to school for longer than most :p  I get that she is at a tough age where the pressure to be "normal" is overwhelming and I understand that it plays a huge part it in her life and how she perceives herself. 
We've discussed going back to school and how things would be different and the expectations that we have of her and I would also be sitting down with the principle and letting her know my expectations of the school as well.
As of this morning all was calm on the homeschool front. This evening it is another story that is full of tears and pleas to attend school and be "normal".  I certainly don't want my child to not feel normal but I do want her to realize that she isn't normal and has so much more potential than the school can give her. The freedom to express herself in her art and stories will be squashed and labeled as ADHD or dyslexia instead of praised and nurtured so she can be the "not normal" girl she is and grow to be the self confident woman I know she can be.
So, these are some of my thoughts. She has made tremendous leaps in her math which was really behind. I'm quite confident that going back to school her math will drop off the radar again as well as other subjects and she will be pushed through to grade 7 without even being at a grade 6 level and we'll back at square one.
Or, I keep her home (against her will) keep her working hard and catching up but sacrificing her self perception and possibly self esteem.
Seriously hard decisions to make and do I make them or do I let my child make them? I said from the beginning that as soon as one of us doesn't want to do it anymore (myself or child) than we would stop because it is only fair. I just want to do what's right for her though and not necessarily now but for the long term....

1 comment:

  1. It's so hard when you have the ability to see a bigger picture then your child, to let them make their own decisions. Sometimes, as a parent we have to take the hard road and say "My way, because it is the best decision for right now and someday you will see that." And yet sometimes we have to take a step back and say "This is your decision to make, right or wrong, I will help you deal with whatever happens, good or bad."

    I'm sorry that I don't have a magic wand to wave to show you which scenario this one is. I'm sure whatever you and Kianne decide will be right for you.

    We will be rejoining the homeschooling ranks in the fall, much to the chagrin of Cyndel. But I think she will eventually come around.
    Candice

    ReplyDelete