Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Stronger

I have a splitting headache and have for the whole day. After a nap it is still no better so I may have to resort to some tylenol or advil.
I am quite certain this headache is due to stress. We met with the school today to revisit the idea that Kianne wants to go back.
Of course whether she can or not is not the issue as it is a public school and they have to accept her. It was really just to meet with administration, discuss concerns and strategies.
I'm happy I had Jayson come along so that the numbers were even because it would have been odd to have myself on one side of the table and the principle, vice principle, guidance counsellor and teacher on the other side.   Now with that being said, it was quite even because the guidance counsellor is a really interesting person and I'm pretty sure she strategically sat on the same side of the table as Jay and I so it was three on three. As silly as it sounds it was comforting.
Everyone was pleasant and the niceties exchanged even though there were words between the vice principal and myself and the end of the last year. I had to really be firm with her at one point and stress that it wasn't about her it was about Kianne. Upfront it was forgotten but the undertone was still there.
The principle of the school I've always had great respect for and like I said the guidance counsellor that is currently there is great.
The meeting started off real well until the vice principle and teacher arrived. The teacher could not see or appreciate the benefits of homeschooling and rolled her eyes and me more than once. It was also quite evident that she thinks that doctors aren't necessary and that teachers can diagnose children.  Vice principle of course was pushing the ADHD and a diagnosis that was supposedly made. The two of them together were pushy and bossy and actually condescending.
Let me tell you what being out of the system for a little while does. I stood up to the nonsense. Not in some crazy parent way but when the teacher rolled her eyes at me I spoke up and educated her on the benefits of homeschooling and the differences and opportunities for my children to learn. When she insisted that as a teacher she could diagnose ADHD I did not take that as well and she was so grossly misinformed as to what ADHD is and how it could be assessed and diagnosed that even the vice principle had to correct her and agree with me.
I was able to bring up old situations and reasons we chose to homeschool in the first place. The look of alarm and panic on the principle's face when I brought up certain issues was satisfactory and pleasing to me. I showed her documents that startled her and evidence that something was done seriously wrong and had doctors prescribing narcotics to Kianne.  I was happy to see the panic and concern on her face. I had brought these issues up with the vice principle last year out of sheer frustration but apparently the principle still hadn't heard.
I can tell you that things are going to be different if and when Kianne does go back. There will be no nonsense and I will not pussyfoot around issues that may or may not exist.

I can tell you for sure that I feel l like I'm throwing Kianne to a pack of wolves. When I told her who her teacher was going to be she kind of grunted and said "Oh she's really strict".That could be a good thing though.   I will not let this teacher walk all over Kianne or myself however, Kianne needs to do what needs to be done.

They want to an assessment to see where she's at academically. I told them she HAS to have help in math and I want it this time. She should have been having it years ago.

Anyway, she is going for an assessment at the school to see where she is at. Kianne has made the choice to go back and although I swore I would never have them go to that school again, I feel like this is the best option for her.

1 comment:

  1. Kenzie, you really are doing the best for your kids. Whether it's at home or at school, your kids know that you have their back & that they can trust you. It's ok to change your mind and allow Kianne to go back to that same school. I know it's been a tough decision, and I admire how much energy & effort you have put into this decison.

    ReplyDelete