Monday, September 13, 2010

First Day-Figuring it all out

Today was our first official day of homeschool. I think the kids were really excited about getting their chores done so we could start "school work" and break out the new supplies etc...
We started our morning with Language Arts and Math as I personally think those are really important subjects and I wanted the kids to be fresh and alert.
Keeping the two younger ones busy while this was happening was quite the challenge. I'm not sure if this is the best time after all. Really, this week will be a lot of figuring things out and what works best for everyone in the household.
We spent a lot more time at the table than I want to. I know for a fact that I DO NOT want to school at home. That to me is not the point of homeschooling. I do not want the kids to be frustrated and bored and I think if we spend too much time working on worksheets and stuck at the table this will surely be the result.
Of course getting through the "curriculum" is important however, the great thing about homeschooling is that we can do it at a comfortable pace for everyone.
I could tell that it was too long and it was time for a break. We went outside for some fresh air, bike riding, skate boarding and dog walking.
The units that the kids started needed to be finished but tomorrow will for sure only be one unit and not two to hopefully cut down on the table time.
After lunch we spent some at the library and stocked up on some good reading and audio books. The little ones and naps and the big ones read and some computer time.


Overall it was a successful day but far too long.  There will for sure be some scheduling adjustments.

No comments:

Post a Comment