hmmmm this is really hard. I knew it would be hard and until we get into a good groove I think it will continue to be hard. I find that nothing is getting done in the house, my work is sitting on the computer and emails have gone unanswered among other things.
I had to volunteer at Kids Spot this morning and I will continue to do that every second week. I figured this would be a good time for the big kids to do some independent reading, writing, work sheets etc... However, when there is a big old room full of toys and some 30 or 40 odd kids running around the idea of "work" is far from appealing. Even though the little kids are all preschoolers my big kids would still rather play with them.
Can't say I blame them ;)
One thing that did work well today was having them do their more serious work during nap time. I think we will try that again tomorrow.
I am also thinking that we will try a unit study type of project next week. Try and factor in all the subjects into one "unit". Even I'm getting bored with worksheets and stuff.
I had been feeling quite confident in our homeschooling choices the past couple of days but had a moment of anxiety this evening and wondered if my kids were going to learn anything?!?!?
I feel like my whole life has been taken over by "homeschool" everywhere I go people ask if the kids have a day off and then it turns into a huge dialogue about homeschool and patience, and socialization and any other stigma that may be associated with homeschooling.
I have to be honest and say that even though I work this weekend I'm really looking forward to it ;p
It's time for a break.
Hang in there Kenzie...it will get better. And you'll have moments of pure bliss! Followed by moments of Mommy tantrums that rival the 2 year olds!
ReplyDeleteI found I used Sunday nights to set my curriculum up. I did one month right off the hop, and then continued in 2 week increments. This allowed me to locate and place on hold any necessary books for the next 2 week block. Monday was library day to get whatever I had put on hold the week (or 2) prior.
Once you find your groove things will flow. Remember that learning take place in more places then inside a classroom, so your kids are going to learn a ton this year, on top of all the 'academic" stuff.